Mo Simple

In his book, Focal Point, Brian Tracy talks about the big picture in simplifying your life (the Seven Rs, two of which are dealt with in previous blogs as Re-engineering and Re-inventing) and about the everyday process of simplification.

Here are some excellent tips for simplifying your daily life:

1- Clean up the clutter on your desk-- use "project boxes" or the like to catch the papers and books as you no longer focus on them. I favour the stationary boxes with lids that you can pick up at Staples, etc.-- If you want to keep your project, just put the lid on and store it, labeled. Whenever possible, don't keep reams of printed materials (recycle what you do have). Keep only one task at a time on the desk in front of you.

2- Go through your stacks of reading material and recycle (he says 'toss out' but I'm against that). Tracy points out that most materials put aside for filing or storage (see above) are never looked at again by human eyes. Sell what books you can and check out your local Freecycle.com to see if anyone wants what doesn't sell, or donate it to the Salvation Army, hospital book sales, etc.

3- Try leaving things off and increase breathing space in your life-- don't turn on the TV for a day, take a break from your PC or laptop, turn your phone off. Create periods of silence. You will be amazed at the improvements in your face-to-face relationships when you 'fast' a little from all the external bombardments.

4- Go through your closets, car, and garage and purge yourself of everything that is out-of-fashion, out-of-date, unnecessary, or irreparable. Tracy suggests that we "break ourselves of the 'pack rat' mentality" of our parents and grandparents.

5- Practice some form of solitude everyday.

*******************************************************************
Want more simplicity in your life? How about a business that can be done almost exclusively with a phone and a computer in your home office? Ditch the lengthy commute and the rigid 9 to 5 workday and create a business AROUND your life, instead of the other way around. Is it possible? HIGHLY! Check it out here.

3 comments:

bill said...

Perhaps the modern equivalent of cleaning up your desk...

Declare email bankruptcy, and delete every message in your inbox. Every one.

Then, start over.

It's liberating.

Sure, a few people will be upset that you didn't reply, but they'll forget about it in a day or two.

Fluffy said...

I'm getting rid of my tv... Although I'm agreeing with bill on the email messages. I don't know if I have the guts to delete my whole inbox. I know I need to do it though. It's like really cold water -- I just need someone to give me a push.

HealthiaCynthia said...

Bill, I love your analogy between 'physical' desk clutter and email... but I'm a little gutless, as Fluffy describes herself when it comes to actually deleting the whole inbox. But now I'm wondering-- if I do the big email expunge (and I confess that I have several email accounts, just like many people have several bank accounts with no more than $7.32 of value in most of them)will I next find myself merrily gutting my physical closet of all the outdated, over-worn, imprudently-purchased articles in there too? Will I experience the huge in-whooshing of positive energy that most often precedes the choice to let go of stockpiles of negative energy? Thank you, Bill, for your nudge, and thanks Fluffy for your honest reaction (so similar to my own)! I'll be interested to hear back from you about the results of your purges!